RANDOM THOUGHTS ON VARIOUS SUBJECTS

Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Playlist Continued

So I've been really listening to the lyrics of the songs that are on my playlist, and I realized today that a lot (most?) of the songs are pretty degrading to women. It's kind of awful, if one thinks about it and ignores the beat for a minute.

There's this song by Justin Timberlake (with rap by Timbaland) where he's in love with this woman, he wants to get married, he can see their future together, etc. It's all love, and he's waiting to hear her answer.

And then, in the middle of the song, Timbaland come in with this rap which is the complete opposite of what JT is singing about. He raps this horrible line:

I'll fill your space and forget your face, I swear I will...

Ewww!!!

And a line from BellBivDevoe's "Poison":

...but I know she's a loser
(how do you know?)
Me and the crew used to do her

It's hard for me not to think about this stuff, and yet, I love these songs and the beat, and I love to dance to them! It's a conundrum. It goes with the whole "N" word argument (and yes, in Kanye West's "Gold Digger", you do hear that word! Oh god, will my 40th be ruined in favor of political correctness???

Thoughts?


1 comment:

Pumpkin Cupcake Queen said...

It's your party and you can be politically incorrect if you want to.