RANDOM THOUGHTS ON VARIOUS SUBJECTS

Tuesday, January 22, 2008

I'll Take French Composers for $200

The other night when I was at a dinner party (the one where I stayed up till 2 am), we were all sitting around eating dinner and having entertaining conversation. The hosts, Geoff and Diana, have an eclectic collection of music*, so I was quite surprised to hear classical coming from the speakers.

Somebody said, "Oh, I like this piece", and someone else agreed. I had a blank look on my face, I guess, and I piped up that I didn't know the piece. "Come on, you know this!" I was told. Three people tried to name a movie that this music was in. I strained my ears, to no avail. I did not know this music.

"It's Satie", someone said. The only thing I pictured was a small, upholstered couch with curved wooden feet, in dusty rose. That, of course, is a settee, but that's what came to my mind.

Believe it or not, I got ragged on for not knowing this French composer and pianist from the 1880's (thank you, Wikipedia.org)! So of course I had to bust out all the classical pieces and composers I did know, and quipped that the next time I came out with some rump-shaking, booty-talking song, I'd ask them how well they knew it!

The next day, my friend Amy called me. She needed help with a crossword clue. "French composer, Satie" was the clue, I'm not making this up. I looked it up on Wikipedia, and gave her the answer, his first name: Erik.

So now I know Satie, are you happy??? I'm going to listen to "Freak-a-Leak". Know that one??
* say eclectic collection ten times fast.

No comments: