RANDOM THOUGHTS ON VARIOUS SUBJECTS

Sunday, January 13, 2008

Improv Everywhere

There's this guy in New York named Charlie Todd, and he has a website called Improv Everywhere. He plans the most amazing stunts! The stunts are done to bring a smile to someone's face, have a good story to tell, and basically shake things up a bit.

Yesterday was the No Pants 2K8 event. It was the 7th annual in NYC, and the 1st annual in Boston. I heard about it and went to observe and take pictures. Well, when I arrived at the appointed subway station and saw so many people who were going to participate, I couldn't help but join in! It was a little hard for me because I was by myself, but I quickly made friends with an older woman who turned out to be the organizer's mother. I said I'd do it if she'd do it.

The stunt was to get on the subway, and at an appointed time, remove our pants, stick them in our bags, and ride the subway as if nothing out of the ordinary was happening. We rode the red line from Alewife to Park St, and the plan was to ride the green line from Park St. to Kenmore, all the time wearing nothing but our undies and whatever we had on top, and we all acted like we didn't know each other and weren't in on anything.

The best part of the whole event was seeing people's reactions when they got on the T, seeing random people in their coats, shoes, and just underwear, acting like nothing was out of the ordinary. It was great; made it on the evening news and everything! Next year I'm going to invite friends and really get prepared!

Go to the website and read about the different events, particularly the Best Buy and Cell Phone Symphony. Amazing!

1 comment:

SabineM said...

OH MY GOD! That is very cool and very gutsy! Not sure I would have (due to what I wear underneath my jeans!) WOW!