RANDOM THOUGHTS ON VARIOUS SUBJECTS

Thursday, August 02, 2007

Overload

I live in a studio apartment, i.e., one room. I used to have this little table that I got at Crate & Barrel about 10 years ago, and I was so excited because it was from Crate & Barrel and it was cherry and it was grown-up furniture and it had 4 chairs to go with it and I was so proud.

I had that dang table in 5 apartments and in and out of one storage unit, and I started getting bored with it. It had a burn ring from a candle on it, and one of the leaves on the table was a little wobbly, and it had a few knicks after so many years. That and the fact that for the past 3 years I haven't been able to use all 4 chairs 'cause they wouldn't fit in this apartment because it's a studio. So 2 of the chairs have been in the basement for 3 years and now they're all damp and sort of moldy.

I wanted to get a new table, a bigger one so I'd be able to do work on it instead of at my low coffee table, which is where I do everything. I bend over and it hurts my back. I put the table on Craigslist and got 15 offers on it the first day. Sold it for 40 bucks the next day.

So I went to Ikea and got this great table that came with 4 chairs. It looks like something Goldilocks and the Three Bears would use (not at the same time, of course, because Goldilocks went and pulled a breaking and entering, and well, you know the rest). I bought these cushions to go on the chairs, and it's so cute and I love it and...

and what did I think I was going to do, have dinner parties? I got this big old table, and you know what I do with it? Put all my crap from the day on it, and now it looks like this:

At least my coffee table is clean so I can put my feet up while I'm watching TV.

2 comments:

SabineM said...

oh poor table! ;-)

Anonymous said...

Your table's as cluttered as mine is. Nah nah nah nah nah.