RANDOM THOUGHTS ON VARIOUS SUBJECTS

Saturday, July 12, 2008

A Tale of Two Cities



Lazy Saturday. Just came in from the porch, where I was reading a book whilst gliding back and forth on the porch glider. My next door neighbors were in the communal yard, gardening. My across the street neighbor passed by and we commented on the lovely weather. A police car came by and stopped across the street, but it looked as though it was just passing through; maybe someone would offer the patrolman a nice glass of lemonade.

Where I live now sure is different from where I grew up. I was raised in New York City (photo, left). Back then, the population was just under 8 million people. Here in my town (photo, right), we have just over 57,000.

When I was a kid, pimps and prostitutes hung out on the corner of my street. I was exposed to some really nasty people. I'm sure we have serial killers and other undesirables where I live now, but you can also leave your backpack at the playground by mistake and find it 3 hours later, untouched. I know my neighbors, most of them well, many of them by sight.

Feels nice to let my guard down as an adult when I was always on the alert as a child.

No comments: