RANDOM THOUGHTS ON VARIOUS SUBJECTS

Sunday, March 02, 2008

Microcosmos

Attention Netflix subscribers: Put this movie on your queue! It's a French documentary called Microcosmos, and it's one of the most visually stunning things I have ever seen. If you like insects, you'll love this film. If you don't like insects, you just might after seeing this! It follows a day in the life of insects and bugs, up close and personal. There is very little narration, so all you hear is the sounds of nature, and you see things very close up and in slow motion.

Have you ever seen a bee fold its wing back to really clean it? See a ladybug get bounced off a blade grass by a raindrop? Watch two snails mating to opera music? There was one scene of a beetle pushing a ball of dirt, something we've all seen pictures of or maybe caught on TV. But did you know that they actually do it backwards? And uphill? In one riveting scene, the ball gets stuck on a thorn. I was on the edge of my seat, wondering how on earth Mr. Beetle was going to get it off! I won't spoil the movie for you, but I will say that perseverance pays off in the end!

I was so inspired by this movie, I decided to upload a beetle movie I made myself, while walking home one day last year. Enjoy!



No comments: