RANDOM THOUGHTS ON VARIOUS SUBJECTS

Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Sounds Like...

I have very sensitive ears. I believe that I can hear things that other people can't. I had a hearing test last year and actually asked the tester if I had bionical hearing. She gave me the, "Now that's a new one!" look, and told me my hearing was normal.

I am sensitive to certain sounds, both pleasant and unpleasant.

Sounds that are unpleasant to my ears:

* loud high pitched screeching from children (yes, I am a preschool teacher, I hear it all the time, it doesn't mean I like it)

* water dripping from a faucet

* Heidi Klum's voice

* the sound of metal against metal, as in scraping the inside of a can with a metal spoon. Eek!

Sounds that are pleasant to my ears:

* when children get the giggles and they can't stop

* walking on hard snow to make that crunch sound

* a babbling brook

* the voice of the woman who was at the register at the art store I went to today.

Let's talk about that woman. She had the most pleasant, soft voice, and she talked extra because I asked her about a product. The more helpful she was, the more I became aware of her voice and how I liked the sound of it. Then I started paying attention to how she looked. She was petite and had black hair and black makeup around her eyes for a dramatic effect. It made her eyes sort of catlike, and as I left the store, a thought occurred to me.

If this woman was ever an animal, she would be a kitten. More likely, she was a kitten in human form. I don't know who put the spell on her to become a person, but she seemed to take it in stride. In any event, she made my checkout a sort of dreamy experience.

I hear Shelby purring and breathing. I know without looking that she's in a deep sleep. That's another sound I find pleasant.

Sweet dreams!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The sound that I find most offensive is the voice of Jewel.