RANDOM THOUGHTS ON VARIOUS SUBJECTS

Saturday, December 22, 2007

Rockin' Out at Nursery School

Remember Rock Lobster, by the B-52's? One of the greatest dance songs out there. At a dance in junior high, it was so cool when all the kids lay down on the floor during that one part where they say, "Down, down..." and then we jumped up when the music was fast again.

Well, this year, I've gotten my kids into this song in a big way. They often request it: "Alex, I want the lobster song!" I taught them how to make lobster claw movements with their hands. Some enterprising kids do their own thing. Calder moves his arms, making like a shark, and Graeme goes down on all fours backwards, doing the crab.

My heart swells with pride when the "Down, down" part comes on, and a group of three, four, and five year olds all lay down on the floor at the same time and then jump up, just like I did in junior high.

After they rock out to Rock Lobster, they all make a circle on the floor and make fists so they can pound the carpet as the next song comes on, We Will Rock You by Queen. It's music appreciation at its finest.

No comments: