RANDOM THOUGHTS ON VARIOUS SUBJECTS

Sunday, December 30, 2007

For Love or Mugs

I have these mugs I drink tea out of every day. I've had them for about 15 years. They're clear glass, and they're perfect. I know exactly where the water line is, and how much sugar and milk to put in.

Recently, I noticed lines in all of my mugs. It was puzzling. Were they milk lines? Was I not washing them carefully enough? Turns out I was washing them very carefully.

A couple of years ago, I bought myself a ring with three small diamonds on it. I wore it on my left hand, as a sort of "F You" to society, I wasn't going to wait for a man to buy me a diamond, etc. So what if people thought I was married?

Recently (see above), I switched the ring to my right hand, ready for people to know I was not married. It didn't really feel right, since I had bought it for my left hand, but it stayed. Until I made the connection that I used my right hand to swirl the sponge around and around my mugs, therby scratching them all (and a couple of glasses too).

The dilemma: Appear to be hitched, or ruin my dishes? Mugs are a dime a dozen. So what? Let people think I'm married. The ring is back on my left hand, where it belongs.

No comments: