RANDOM THOUGHTS ON VARIOUS SUBJECTS

Saturday, September 06, 2008

They Are Everywhere

The other day I went in to school to meet a new family and show them around. There was no one else at school because we're still cleaning up and getting ready; school starts next week.

After they left, I was straightening up one of the cubbies. I was by the basement door, which was open. A guy who was in the basement whom I didn't know comes over to me and says, "You work with kids?" I said yes, because I was in the nursery school and thought he had heard me with a kid earlier.

He said, "Wanna see something? Come here!" and he goes into the labyrinth of the basement. My goodness, is it my lot in life to be introduced to serial killers, or what? Like I'm about to go down into a basement with a stranger, with no one else around. Yeah, right! "Wanna see something?" That has got to be the oldest line in the book for serial killers!

Once again, I had to think fast. I was just about to tell him that I was really busy, and back quickly up the stairs, but then he said that he was part of the Boston Camera Club and he had a huge roll of paper he'd like to donate to us. I saw it. I saw all the camera equipment. We introduced ourselves. We talked for a few minutes.

Did I feel like a jerk for suspecting a fellow photographer of murderous intent? NO! I'm sure he still was a killer--a killer with a hobby, trying to lure me with paper for the children. Well, I'll take the paper, all right, it'll be good for our painting easel. And maybe write Jim a nice thank you note. It was a nice gesture.

1 comment:

xacerb8 said...

This is the second time you've referenced the possibility of becoming the hapless victim of a serial killer. I forget what the other guy did, oh, wait, did you carry his groceries upstairs and then have a cup of tea? Anyway, I'm thinking...therapy. :)