RANDOM THOUGHTS ON VARIOUS SUBJECTS

Monday, September 01, 2008

Notes from Observations at Starbucks

8/20/08

I should have been an anthropologist, I like observing people so much. I wish I knew as a child there were so many things you could be. Is it too late for me to be an anthropologist?

I begin my study at the local Starbucks, one that is not on the list of 600 that is slated to close. There's an old man in the corner, trying to read his newspaper in peace. He can't seem to relax. A boy at the table next to his rocks in his chair. The man admonishes him, "Stop doing that!" the boy's grandmother says, "Listen to the gentleman."

Across the room, a Starbucks employee is training a newbie. The trainer has such an annoying voice, it's almost as if she's a caricature come to life. That cannot be her real voice. Her inflection is loud and so nasal it's like she's speaking through the space between her eyes. If I had to work with that voice, I'd apply for a job at Dunkin' Donuts.

A man comes in and talks to an employee at the employee entrance, the side of the counter. The old man looks up at them in annoyance. They are disturbing his newspaper reading.

A young man gets settled with a bottle of water and a newspaper. A beautiful young woman comes in, and the guy says to her, "Would you stop following me?" He's joking; they clearly know each other. He stands up, and they chat. She shows him the book she just got. He stands close to her and looks her in the eyes. He says positive things about her book. He is interested in her. She moves on, and playfully taps him with the book. She is not interested in him. "Stalk you later!" she says, walking away. She has made his day. And all these observations have made my day. Until next time...tall iced hazelnut latte!

No comments: