RANDOM THOUGHTS ON VARIOUS SUBJECTS

Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Mystery Solved

I teach English conversation privately, in people's homes. One place I go to is a high rise luxury apartment building. They have signs outside advertising studios and 1, 2, and 3 bedroom apartments with amenities. There are 10 floors, and lots and lots of apartments. The place is huge!

After going to this building on a regular basis, I noticed that there seemed to be a striking number of college aged people living there. A lot of them know each other, and go from floor to floor via the elevator. It resembles a college dorm building at times. I wondered, "Is this a dorm? How can students afford these apartments?"

Last week my curiosity got the best of me, and I finally asked two young people who were in the elevator with me. I said that there seemed to be a lot of college aged people around, and they said that they were mostly Boston University students. I then asked, politely, how college students could afford luxury apartments.

The students both got red in the face, and the girl said, "Well, my parents pay for mine." And the boy said the same thing. They agreed that most students' apartments were paid for by mom and dad. That's what I had thought, but at least now I knew.

Note to families: Do not rent an apartment at this apartment complex, unless you like loud parties on weekends!

No comments: