RANDOM THOUGHTS ON VARIOUS SUBJECTS

Friday, August 01, 2008

Wham! It's George Michael! Part 2

The set of the GM concert was pretty simple. There was a screen going from the way top all the way down, all across the stage floor, and it curved down over the stage. There were huge rectangular screens on either side of the stage. The band was way in the back, on two levels. George (we call him by his first name, like we're pals, apparently) had three or four backup singers, but mostly it was just him doin' his thang onstage.

The screens lit up like a screensaver on a computer, with this cool graphic red line pulsating to the beat. When he came out, of course we all went crazy. I can't even remember what the first song was, but suddenly he busted out "Hard Day" from his Faith album. Oh my god, I had totally forgotten about that song, and it was one I love. I went crazy! "Bang, bang, you're dead, could we just make love instead...say yes, 'cause it's what we do best, and I've had such a hard day..." Oh man, it was great. The videos were so cool, all over the floor and up the back wall.

After a couple of songs, he said hello to Boston, and he apologized for being late. The screen showed him up close, and I noticed that George looked a little...thicker than he had in the past. Not fat, really, but I noticed his neck, in particular. He looked like a football player. Liz remarked, "Like Alec Baldwin." Exactly! He's older (though only 45), and methinks the cannabis problem he deals with has not been good to his physique. However...

He can shake that booty, and lordy, did he look good doing that! He gave us quite a show at various times. He's also comfortable with his sexuality, which was nice to see. He made a few references to being gay, including when he was singing "Everything She Wants". He sang, "Because I said you were the perfect girl for me..." and then he said, under his breath, "Yeah, right!" It was pretty funny.

He sang some songs I wasn't familiar with, but most of them I knew. He went all the way back from "Careless Whisper" and "Faith" to "Father Figure", to" Amazing" and "Flawless". He also did some covers that were surprising, but I guess were on one of his albums. He did slowed down versions of "Roxanne" and "The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face."

Although he started an hour late, he stayed for over two hours, and finished up by having us all sing "Happy Birthday" to his drummer, whose birthday had been forgotten the day before. His final song was "Freedom 90".

What a show, what a night! I am now completely obsessed with George Michael. Buy his new CD, Twentyfive. You will not be disappointed.

No comments: