RANDOM THOUGHTS ON VARIOUS SUBJECTS

Saturday, August 16, 2008

Back in New York...

I have so much to post, I can barely keep up. I'm going to try this weekend. As such, here's another vignette about New Yorkers that I wrote while sitting on the step of my brother's apartment building.

There's a woman, very well dressed, getting into her silver Acura. She has on a crisp white blouse and black cropped pants. She's an older woman, and has on a lot of makeup. She looks like Cruella de Ville of Disney's 101 Dalmations. She has a stern look on her face.

She has two bags from Zabar's, the famous Upper West Side gourmet food shop. Before she gets to put the bags in the car, a dog stops by and sniffs them. I silently warn the dog not to sniff the bags of Cruella de Ville; it's a trap!

Suddenly, the woman turns around and offers me a black and white cookie. "Want one?" Did she think I was homeless, sitting on top of my bag, at the door of the apartment building? See, that's the thing about NYC. A nice older rich woman will offer food to a homeless tattooed woman like myself. Or maybe she offers cookies to everyone. I politely decline, in case she had laced it with cyanide while crossing the street. New Yorkers are friendly, but you can never be too sure.

No comments: