RANDOM THOUGHTS ON VARIOUS SUBJECTS

Tuesday, January 27, 2009

At the NAG-dromat

I was just at the laundrymat and witnessed an exchange between a frustrated father and his non-compliant teenage son. The son showed up as his dad was folding the laundry, and the dad wanted a little help. He went about it the wrong way, however. He called his kid selfish because he wouldn't help, and when the son walked towards the door, the father actually started to count, like I do with my 3 year olds: "Max, one!"

My favorite part was when the son delivered his excuse: "Well, the only reason you're asking me to do it is because I'm here! I wouldn't have even done any of it if I hadn't shown up!" Oh man, I had to keep from laughing.

One thing I noticed is that the dad kept nagging the son, and it didn't make the son want to fold laundry, for sure. My advice would have been for him to have a nice conversation with his son as he was folding, instead of nagging and threatening him. After a few minutes, the son probably would have started folding some stuff on his own.

Note to all: if you want something done, ask nicely. Drop the NAG! I'll try it too.

3 comments:

xacerb8 said...

What the dad doesn't realize is that, just by showing his son that dads can and do fold laundry, he's instilling all kinds of good values for the future. Some day that sullen teenager will be folding HIS own laundry and he'll have his dad to thank for showing him how. But...you're right, sometimes you have to put aside the sullen teen inside yourself and try to be the grownup.

Anonymous said...

Laundrymat. Heh.

snobbyblogger said...

Okay, okay. I looked it up. It IS laundrOmat. Whatever.