RANDOM THOUGHTS ON VARIOUS SUBJECTS

Friday, November 21, 2008

React Much?

Last night I took a ride in an ambulance and went to the emergency room. It was very exciting.
What happened? Allergic reaction to my monthly allergy injections.

I got my injections around 3:45, with a nurse I had only seen twice. I told her that the previous month, I had had a bad reaction to my shots, and showed her a picture of my arm all swelled up with a 3" circle of red. She made a big deal of cutting down my dose. You're supposed to stay in the office for a half hour afterwards in case you have a reaction. She gave me ice to put on my arms while I was waiting. At 4:15, she noted my arm was pink and had a little spot, but nothing to worry about. She noted it in my chart. She told me to take some Benadryl when I got home.

I stopped at the store on my way home. Walking towards home, I felt like my palms were itchy. Wasn't that a sign of an adverse reaction? I shrugged it off, thinking I was being paranoid.

When I got home at 5:00, I took off my gloves and saw that my palms were pink. Was I imagining it? I went across the hall to my neighbor's so she could see if I was red anywhere else. By that time, my ears were starting to feel funny. I went to see her, and she didn't even look under my shirt and said, "Alex, what's happening??" Oh god, I got a little freaked out then. Went back to my house and lifted up my shirt. I was red like a lobster.

I called the doctor's office, which was closed. I had no choice but to call 911; all I wanted to know was whether I should take a Benadryl or use my Epi pen. I was breathing, so I didn't think I should use the Epi pen. The woman on the line told me she would send an ambulance over to check me out, and that they could tell me better.

Next up: call, and they will come. And bring half the town.

No comments: