RANDOM THOUGHTS ON VARIOUS SUBJECTS

Saturday, June 07, 2008

Fresh Firefighters

I just got a second call from local firefighters, asking for money. Seems I had donated something back in December, when I used part of my annual bonus to give to various charities. It felt really good.

Of course, now those various charities are contacting me regularly, thinking that I am able to donate all the time, which I am not. I get a weekly letter from Planned Parenthood, and now, instead of feeling good, I am getting annoyed.

The organization that takes the cake, however, is these firefighters. The first time they called, I said, "I'm sorry, but I have no money right now, and I'm about to walk out the door." The caller replied, "That's not what I was calling for, and you enjoy that meal in front of you."

They just called again, and I listened to their schpiel this time. Actually, they were asking for money. I told the man that I had donated before because I had had money at that time, but I couldn't donate now, and that the next time I had money, I would donate again. The caller answered me by saying, "Okay, take care of yourself first, thank you." and he hung up.

You know what? Now they don't get any money from me, with that attitude! If telemarketers and local charities ask for money without any 'tude, they just might get it. For now, yes, I'll take care of myself and enjoy any meals that are in front of me. Thank YOU.

No comments: