RANDOM THOUGHTS ON VARIOUS SUBJECTS

Saturday, April 19, 2008

Smells Like Burnt Popcorn

Yesterday I popped a bag of microwave popcorn for the first time since I've had the microwave. I wanted to do a test run, because tomorrow I'm having some kids over to watch a movie, and I wanted to have popcorn. Makes sense, right?

On the bag there were no directions; it said to look at the microwave for the automatic setting; it would be between 2 and 5 minutes. Mine didn't have an automatic setting. I knew that my microwave was pretty powerful, but I went with experience, which told me that you take the bag out when only a few kernels are popping.

Apparently, 3 minutes was too long. When I opened the door, the bag was smoking, and it smelled really bad. I had to take the bag out and put it on the porch. Meanwhile, the smell permeated the whole place.

I lit some candles and put the air purifier on, to no avail. I went out to do some errands, and when I came back, it still stunk, so I sprayed the place with perfume. My cat Shelby started meowing in a funny way, so I picked her up to comfort her. She was so close to the stench of the perfume, (which cats don't like) she winced, jumped down, and started licking herself furiously. Poor thing; I made it worse.

I went to bed, and when I woke up...you guessed it, still smelly. I've just concocted a brew of orange spice tea, cinnamon, nutmeg, and cloves. It smells good in the kitchen, anyway.

Tomorrow the kids are getting bagged popcorn.

No comments: