RANDOM THOUGHTS ON VARIOUS SUBJECTS

Thursday, April 10, 2008

Physical Therapy--Friend, or Foe?

So I finally started physical therapy last week. The first time I went, I was a little disappointed. My PT, Shellie, did all these tests on me and assessments. She told me what they were, but she did it really fast and I couldn't remember it all. Basically, the problem goes back to my left hip. For some reason, we don't know why, it was giving me pain. I started to unconsciously favor it, and so my right knee went out of whack. The PT is for my knee.

Shellie seemed really tough and no nonsense, and I realized later that what I want is a little bit of therapist in every person I see--personal trainer, masseuse, dentist, doctor, PT. I like to talk about what they're doing, why they're doing it, how it affects me, who they like on American Idol, etc. Shellie, at first, was all business.

And she gave me homework! I was sent home with a sheet of paper that had six exercises on it. I was supposed to do these exercises, some twice a day! I did a few, and thought I was going to get in trouble for not doing all my homework. Even worse, the knee pain that had subsided a bit came back all the way the day after I saw Shellie. This is how PT is supposed to work??

My friend Amy and I talked about our different images of PT. I thought you went to PT, lay on a table, and the therapist stretched you while you just lay there. I guess the only images I had of PT were on the news when someone had been in a terrible accident and couldn't use their limbs anymore. Amy's image of PT was taking baby steps with the two parallel poles you hang on to, with the PT standing next to you, guiding you to the end of the room.

I went back again today and had a much better time. To be continued...

1 comment:

SabineM said...

great post title!
I have two here in PT