RANDOM THOUGHTS ON VARIOUS SUBJECTS

Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Travel Blog...Breakfast

Off to sunny California. Time for my semi-annual travel blog. Flying provides endless blog fodder.

Breakfast

Since I started working out with Superman Steve, I'm all about the protein. Steve says I should have some protein before my workout and after. I always have string cheese, yogurt, an egg, or almonds prepared. I thought about this as I cruised the airport, looking for my favorite before check-in eating spot.

I passed two Italian sandwich places. Pizza at 6:30 am? I don't think so. I glanced at, yes I did, McDonald's. I kept walking and saw a huge line at Bahston's favorite coffee spot, Dunkin' Donuts. Donuts at 6:30 am? Yes, Ma'am. However, Dunkin' Donuts is not my favorite coffee spot, so I kept moving.

And then I saw it, and I broke into a grin. Can you imagine? The CEO would love me. Ah yes, ain't nothin' like the sight of a Starbucks to warm one's heart and empty one's wallet.

My friend Amy and I were talking the other day about the loss of mom and pop stores and how corporations like Walmart and...well, Starbucks, have taken over and wasn't that terrible and nothing is personal anymore but there we were, sitting in a Starbucks.

The thing of it is, when you go to Starbucks, anywhere in the world, you know what to expect. I like that. It's comforting to me. I am a person who doesn't like to experiment. I can say, "Tall Awake tea with room", and I'll always get the same thing. There are a variety of sinfully fattening pastries, all of them delicious. I like the color scheme and the atmosphere. So far I've been to Starbucks in about five states and three countries. The currency may be different, but the muffins are the same.

Well, anyway, I got my tea and I had to decide on a fat. Protein? What's protein? After noticing that this Starbucks didn't have muffins with crumblies on top, I chose a raspberry danish. The danish was approximately the size and shape of a baseball mitt. The perimteter was a twisted coil of cinnamon covered dough, and plopped in the middle was a huge blob of garnet colored raspberry goo. I heard harps playing in the background and I saw cherubs flying overhead as I slowly ate a piece of heaven.

3 comments:

K + L said...

ok - so come clean... Do you really prefer Starbucks sweets over D & D donuts???

snobbyblogger said...

YES!!!

K + L said...

Different strokes for different folks, I guess.