RANDOM THOUGHTS ON VARIOUS SUBJECTS

Sunday, November 25, 2007

Beet Blood Splatter

We interrupt the Travel Blog to write a post that has been in the work for weeks and is just now getting written. After the author has caught up, the Travel Blog will proceed (complete with pictures).

So a few weeks ago I was in the kitchen opening a can of beets. The top popped off violently, causing beet juice to splatter all over the place. My imagination took over, and I immediately became a murderer; the beet juice was blood. I knew I had to erase all evidence of my horrendous crime. I washed what blood I could down the sink, and wiped up the rest with paper towels. I was careful to wipe the whole counter, the cabinets, and the floor. I washed my hands with soap and water. No one would ever know.

Alas, I am a sloppy suspect. I didn't check my clothes, and the next day I saw minute splatters of blood in a corner of the countertop I hadn't even thought of to check. My imagination enabled me to now be on the other side, on the forensics team. We saw the evidence so fast, we were able to spend the rest of the day at Dunkin' Donuts. I, of course, lobbied for Starbucks, but was outvoted. I will never say no to a chocolate frosted donut. I drank milk.

No comments: