RANDOM THOUGHTS ON VARIOUS SUBJECTS

Saturday, October 13, 2007

Dental Dilemma

I got a letter in the mail saying that my dentist had moved back to Israel. I am really bummed out. I've been with this dentist for at least ten years. He knows me. He knows my mouth. He knows my teeth. He knows the one tooth that has given me problems since I had a bad dental experience when I was a kid.

Dr. Tencer (aka Dr. T) has seen me through bleached blond shaved hair, an eyebrow ring, and long locks. He wasn't shy about giving me his opinion on my changing style (he liked the natural look, no piercing), and didn't take crap when I'd breeze in a half hour late. One time I came in late for my appointment, and he was putting on his leather jacket. I asked him where he was going. He said, "I'm going to lunch. You're late!" After that, the ladies behind the desk and I set up a system. They always scheduled my appointments fifteen minutes later than the time they told me. They told me to write 10:15 in my book when my appointment was really at 10:30, so I wouldn't be late. It worked. I was never late again.

I have this one tooth that has always given me problems. Dr. T talked about a root canal for years, but he wanted to wait until it was absolutely necessary. As long as I wasn't in pain, he'd leave it. He replaced the filling twice, I had gum surgery, we worked very carefully to keep it clean. I started flossing, My cleanings are a breeze now. My tooth is safe.

Will this new doctor keep my tooth safe? Will he take care of me the way Dr. T did? Will he hide the giant injector behind his back and try to make a joke so he can sneak it in? I'm gonna miss Dr. T. Guess I'll give the new guy, Dr. Pezzolesi (Dr. P?) a try. The consultation's free, anyway.

1 comment:

Ice Cream said...

I hate dentists. I'm sorry you lost a good one.