RANDOM THOUGHTS ON VARIOUS SUBJECTS

Thursday, February 23, 2006

Karate--How Long Will I Last?

Karate tonight. I missed one class this week, so Sensei Bob briefed me on what I missed. Turns out I missed sparring. Sparring is fun, because you get to actually apply what you've learned. Your opponent "attacks" you, and you protect yourself. Then you switch.

Today we learned something called "kata". It's a set of moves, and there are about 26 of these sets. We learned part of the first one today, the first 9 steps. We have to practice steps 1-5 for homework. There are 21 moves in the first kata. 21 moves in the first kata, we learned 9 of those moves, and there are 26 kata. You do the math, I can hardly make my arms and legs move at the same time. In my head I quit karate today at the beginning of class, then I rejoined when we did sparring, and I quit again when we did the kata.

I guess I'll keep doing it. In Japan, people don't quit. Whenever I go into that karate dojo, I feel like I'm in Japan. Shopping in Japan I like. Trying to defend myself against invisible enemies...not so much. It's supposed to get easier. I'll keep at it. HAI!

No comments: