RANDOM THOUGHTS ON VARIOUS SUBJECTS

Friday, May 16, 2008

MRI Fun, part two

...and then the fun began.

Somewhere in the background there was this swishing noise. I imagined a gigantic washing machine. It went swish, swish, swish, very rhythmically. It was sort of comforting.

Unlike the actual sounds of the MRI machine. First it was as if OL was in the back pressing a really big doorbell from the 1950's. It buzzed: ENH, ENH, ENH! Then came the jackhammer, a little faster: gsh gsh gsh gsh gsh! Then silence. Then the doorbell again, then a new sound. It went like this over and over for about 30 minutes, I'd say. I wasn't watching the countdown clock. I went into daydream mode, and since that's my favorite pastime, I found that the minutes flew by.

Then they were done. I contemplated asking the assistant if she would push me all the way into the machine so I could see what it felt like, but she seemed to be in a hurry to get me out of there so she could claim her next victim, I mean, patient. I walked out as a man walked in.

I went to the locker to retrieve my bag, and noticed that they forgot to give me the key. I had to go back and inturrupt them to ask for it. The assistant said, "Oh, which one is yours?" I didn't know, I wasn't the one who had the key; OL was. She just gave me one, and I tried it, but it didn't work. Then I looked at the tag, which said, M, and #2. I went back and told the assistant I thought the M stood for Male, locker 2. I was W #1. "Oh, she flustered, "I didn't even look at that, ha ha!"

Great. I had just trusted these two women to look into the recesses of my knee and who knows what else, and they couldn't even figure out one key out of two. Did they do the MRI correctly, or were all those different sounds their trial and error session?

EHN, EHN, EHN!
OL: No, that's not right. Try that button.
gsh, gsh, gsh, gsh!
Assistant: That sounds better. Right? Right? Priscilla, wake up!
OL: What? Oh, right, where were we? EHN, EHN, EHN...

I got no information about how I was supposed to find out my results. Guess I'll put a call into my doctor. And hope it wasn't all a bad dream.

No comments: