RANDOM THOUGHTS ON VARIOUS SUBJECTS

Saturday, October 18, 2008

Baby's Not Feeling Well

Poor Shelby. She's sick. She's had the runs for four days, and it got so bad I called the vet and they told me to bring her in. She was weighed, prodded,and poked, and had blood taken. She's lost one pound in two months, which is a lot for a cat.

First the doctor took blood from her front leg, and he said it wasn't enough for the tests he wanted to run. He tried her neck next--can you imagine the job of sticking a needle into a cat's neck to take blood?? Two people had to hold her while this was being done, and he couldn't get a good vein. Next, he tried her rear leg. Nothing. I told her if her veins were as big as her paws, we'd be fine, but no such luck. Finally, he tried her other leg and got some more blood, which he said would have to do.

Then they took her in the back and gave her some fluids. Then back to the exam table to get a giant blue pill stuck down her throat. I watched the doctor's technique carefully--lift the head all the way back to open the throat, pop the pill down, then put her head down for swallowing. She fought him, and it will take two people. I have to do this twice a day for the next 7-10 days. A picnic. I can't wait.

$217 dollars later, she's home resting from her traumatic morning.
I have to go buy human baby food so she'll eat something. Poor thing. It sucks getting old. I get the lab results on Monday. Fingers crossed that it's not too serious. Please send good vibes her way.

No comments: