RANDOM THOUGHTS ON VARIOUS SUBJECTS

Monday, April 16, 2007

When You're Pissed, Write a Letter

This is a letter I wrote to the Massachusetts Bay Transit Authority:

March 13, 2007

To Daniel Grabauskas, General Manager

I have lived in the Boston area for fifteen years, and have been a faithful T rider since I stepped foot in this wonderful city. In recent years I have bought my monthly T Pass at the Mailboxes Etc. store located in Coolidge Corner, Brookline. The set up was great; I'd buy my pass, use the accessible hole puncher to punch a hole in the pass so I could attach it to my key chain, and be on my way. I never lost a T Pass using this system.

In January, when the new Charlie Card arrived, I bought a monthly card as usual. I was disappointed to see that a hole could not be punched in it so I could put it on my key chain. It took me awhile to figure out where to put it each day so I wouldn't lose it. Each month when I went into the Mailboxes Etc. store, I was told by the store owner and employees to save my receipt; if I ever lost my card, it would be replaced. I was relieved.

Lo and behold, last week I had put my Charlie Card in my pocket, and at some point it fell out. I was glad I had my receipt as proof I bought it! I went into Mailboxes Etc. to get a new card, and was told that I would have to contact the MBTA.

I called the number printed on the receipt, and was told there was nothing that could be done. I later heard that the MBTA was supposed to set up a system in January whereby one could register a Charlie Card for replacement if it got lost. According to the MBTA website, that has not been done yet. That is not my fault.

When I went to complain to the owner of Mailboxes Etc., Chuck Peden, he told me that he was told by Rick (last name unknown), an employee of the MBTA, that a card would be replaced if lost. Rick is the person who trained the staff at Mailboxes Etc.

I was told multiple times that my card would be replaced if I lost it. I lost it; I want it replaced. I am asking for a check for $59.00 to cover the second card I had to buy in March. Enclosed is a receipt for the Charlie Card I bought February 28th.

I am extremely disappointed in the lack of organization of the MBTA and the new Charlie Card system. I look forward to improvements and consistancy, in addition to my check for $59.00.

Sincerely,

Alexandra Campbell

I printed this letter on bright yellow paper and sent a copy of it to the MBTA. My plan was to send one copy each week until I got a response. It took 4 letters until I got a phone call. I can just picture the scene in the office: Some higher up waving my letter and giving it to a junior employee, saying through clenched teeth: "Make this woman go away, I don't care what it takes!!!"

The woman on the phone said that while they couldn't cut me a check, they would send me a pass for the month of May so I wouldn't have to buy one. That's all I wanted. Justice was served.

And then...and I really hesitate to write this part of the story, but it wouldn't be complete if I didn't. Was in NYC yesterday during the torrental rain. My bags got drenched. When I got home today I emptied everything out of my backpack to let things dry. I went through every single pocket.

And found the Charlie Card I thought I lost. And I suddenly got a flash of the day I thought I lost it; I had put it carefully in a special pocket so I wouldn't lose it. Can one be too fastidious? Methinks so.

You might say that I owe Daniel Grabauskas a big fat apology. I am very embarassed, it's true. But here's the thing: It could have happened! I thought I lost it. Well, I lost it for a month and a half! Oh god, please forgive me.

No comments: