RANDOM THOUGHTS ON VARIOUS SUBJECTS

Thursday, April 19, 2007

More Celebrities

I saw Rosie O'Donnell and her partner Kelli in Provincetown, MA once.
Robin Williams eating at a Chinese restaurant in San Francisco.
The comedian Sinbad crossing the street in NYC.

Back when I was in high school, there used to be this hot male model in the Victoria's Secret catalogs. My best friend Aysha and I would drool over this guy in his satin boxer shorts. One day I was walking down the street in NYC and I saw him at a phone booth. I nearly died! I went right up to him and said, "Aren't you the guy from the Victoria's Secret catalog?" and he got this fake model look on his face and crooned, "Why, yes I am." I asked him for his autograph; his name was Bruce. I ran to a phone booth and called Aysha and screamed, "OhmygodIjustmettheVictoria'sSecretguyandIgothisautographohmygod!!!!" We were very excited.

This happened another time. The movie La Bamba was in the theaters, and Aysha and I were hot for Esai Morales, who played the brother. He was typecast as the bad boy; in fact, he had previously been in the movie Bad Boys with Sean Penn. I was waiting for the subway at Times Square, and who should I see coming to wait for the train but Esai Morales himself. He was carrying a basketball.

We made eye contact and smiled, and I said, "Are you Esai Morales?" and he said yes, and we started a conversation. He had just come from playing basketball in the Village. I remember I said something like "you famous people" or something, and he said, "What are you talking about? I'm just like you!" Yeah, right. When it was close to his stop he said, "Well, I have to be somewhere, but if I didn't, you would definitely be kidnapping material." What?? I thought that was a weird thing to say, but I smiled at him, nervously. Then he had the nerve to lean towards me, as if we were going to kiss goodbye! I said, "Uh, no thanks." and he was a little offended. We parted ways, and even though he creeped me out a bit, I still had to rush to the phone and call Aysha. I screamed, "OhmygodAyshaIjustmetEsaiMorales!!!" and she screamed, "Didyougethisnumber???" No, he gave me the willies. But it was still kinda cool.

My favorite celebrity sighting was Jeff Goldblum in Central Park. That man is tall, a real presence. He was bopping along, taking long strides, and everyone was gawking at him. All of a sudden he put his thumbs in his ears, waved his fingers, made a boogey man face and screamed, "Blaughhhhhh!" at the passerby. It was hysterical, and I thought a most appropriate response for a celebrity.

1 comment:

Akita inu said...

5 years ago,I saw Alex C.talking with a guy from Poland at Hachiko intersection in Shibuya!!