RANDOM THOUGHTS ON VARIOUS SUBJECTS

Thursday, April 26, 2007

Whee!

Yesterday I went to Issei and Yumeko's house as usual to tutor them in English. Issei is 10 and Yumeko is 13. Usually when I arrive, they're both upstairs and they come down with their backpacks. They dutifully start on their homework and I help them with that before we play a game. They've only been in this country for 7 months, so they're still learning English.

When I arrived yesterday, however, it seemed that Issei was suddenly fluent. He was downstairs already, and he greeted me with, "Hi! Homework finish! Want to play a game? I have Wii!" I had heard the big hoo ha over Wii, so of course I was curious. I told him I'd love to play, but since everything was in Japanese, he'd have to explain things in English. He said, "Yes." and Yumeko closed her backpack, clapped her hands, and said, "Okay!"

It was a great English lesson as they both explained how to move the controls, what the games were, and what I should do. My favorite game was a dart game where you held the control but moved your hand as if you were actually throwing a dart. Teaching English was never more fun.

1 comment:

Jiji Tokyo said...

1. Wished to have joined with you playing Wii.
2. I wish to have joined playing the game.
3. If I could have learned English while playing Wii.
Correct my English, please!