RANDOM THOUGHTS ON VARIOUS SUBJECTS

Saturday, December 20, 2008

Christmas Music

I love Christmas music, almost any kind. I have about 8 CDs of Christmas music, mostly compilations. Some of my favorites:

A Charlie Brown Christmas--classic
Barbra Streisand/A Christmas Album--love her version of Jingle Bells
Mr. Hankey's Christmas Classics--from the people who brought you South Park. Not PC, and not for kids, but hilarious. Good for the car.
Now That's What I Call Christmas!--more classics.

Some Christmas songs I have are creepy. One of them is on as I type this. Have you ever heard "The Little Drummer Boy" sung by Bing Crosby and David Bowie? Apparently, David Bowie appeared on a special with Bing Crosby in 1977. Bing sang The Little Drummer Boy, which was a song that Bowie hated. He added a counterpoint song, "Peace on Earth", that he sings at the same time. Together, it's creepy. And whiny.

Worst Christmas cover ever: Celine Dion singing "Feliz Navidad". Stick to your heart going on, Celine.

Best Christmas cover ever: Bruce Springsteen singing "Santa Claus is Comin' to Town".

Annoying? The Beach Boys singing "Little Saint Nick". I hate the chorus that goes, "Christmas comes this time each year..." No shit, Beach Boys.

One of my favorites, just because it's different and has a good beat: Run DMC's "Christmas in Hollis".

Any other Christmas comments out there?

3 comments:

xacerb8 said...

Why does everyone think he/she/they need to put out a christmas album? More importantly, when they do, why can't they just stick to the classics? Case in point "James Taylor at Christmas." What the heck is "River?" Or "In the Bleak Midwinter?" If Nat or Johnny didn't sing it, I don't want to hear it!

And every time I mistakenly cue up Chris Isaak Christmas I expect to see a scantily clad Christy Turlington washing up in the surf.

That said, here are some of my favorites:
John Denver and the Muppets
Holiday Sing Along With Mitch
Raffi's Christmas Album
The Statler Brothers Christmas Wishes (!!! can you believe it?)

Also love "Acoustic Christmas" which has T Bone Burnett singing "God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen," "Mele Kalikimaka" by Poi Dog Pondering, and Harry Connick, Jr. covering "Winter Wonderland."




"Chris Isaak Christmas" and

Anonymous said...

Thumbs up for "A Charlie Brown Christmas!" My other 2 faves are "Peaceful Christmas" (harp, flute, english horn, cello and guitar) and "A Collection of Favourite Christmas Carols" by The New American Guitar Ensemble. George, who's 6, and I crank up "Mary Had A Little Boy" by Snap, "Christmas Wrapping" by The Waitresses and "Santa Claus Is Coming To Town" by Jackson 5. Finally, I sing and/or hum "The Holly And The Ivy" year-round. It's my signature tune!

Kari Whitney said...

Melissa Etheridge's, Glorious, is beyond beautiful and her Christmas album is pretty good too.