RANDOM THOUGHTS ON VARIOUS SUBJECTS

Wednesday, September 26, 2007

The Long Walk to English


This is the hallway that I walk down to teach English to two (sometimes three) kids. Every time I see this hallway I want to call out, "Dead man walking!" or I feel like I'm in a funhouse.

When I arrive, there are two boys, aged eight and eleven, and a girl, aged five. The girl is always happy and excited. The boys are less than thrilled. I have never experienced such a lackluster response when I enter a house, but these boys are so shy and seemingly not interested, I wonder what I can do to get them excited. I can usually get them involved when I bring a game, but it's like pulling teeth.

Today the eight year old simply walked away, and I talked to the eleven year old. I asked him what was wrong, and he told me that he was tired because he played soccer.

Me (in Japanese) What's wrong?

Him (in English) Tired.

Me: Why?

Him: Soccer.


I asked him if he liked English lessons, and he looked up a word in his electronic dictionary and showed me: ordinary, common. The eight year old said so-so. I can't tell if they really don't like it or if they're too cool for English lessons. It's not like I sit there and drill them. We play games! The thought just occurred to me that maybe they don't like starting with homework. I like to see what they're doing in school. Oh well.

Finally I brought out my game and told their mom that I would play with the five year old, and when I did, the other two got interested. We had a good time, but then when it came time to say goodbye, not a word out of them. It's puzzling, but I'll keep trying.

1 comment:

Ice Cream said...

Have you tried doing theme work that might be more interesting to the boys? Maybe you could learn common English talk for when you are at a soccer game (things to yell at the players, what a coach might say to the team, etc), or trying to talk to a girl, or have them compare the English translation of their favorite shows to the original Japanese. You might also show them Japanese men that they admire and show how they used English to succeed in life. Just some ideas. Kids that age can be very hard to teach.