RANDOM THOUGHTS ON VARIOUS SUBJECTS

Wednesday, September 19, 2007

English Makes No Sense

I teach English conversation to Japanese kids and adults. Last week I was with an eleven year old girl, discussing the difference between "desert" and "dessert". We went through the pronunciation: DEsert...deSSERT. We did it a few times for fun, and all was well.

A few minutes later I was reading a book to her, and came across the following sentence:
"Don't desert me!" Sounds like the treat, spelled like the hot place! English can be so frustrating...

2 comments:

Ice Cream said...

Ha ha ha. Hearing things like this make me feel so much better about having difficulties learning Spanish.

SabineM said...

I KNOW !I Used to have the same problem and yes ENGLISH IS NOT EASY! There seems to be more exceptions then rules!