RANDOM THOUGHTS ON VARIOUS SUBJECTS

Tuesday, February 13, 2007

We're Going Batty!


We had an unexpected visitor at school today. Here's what happened:

'Round about 11:15 am, teacher/director Rosie and teacher/volunteer Amy are almost out of the door on their way to the park with a few kids. Teacher Beth is in the dress up area. I am "floating", going around making sure everyone's okay. Teacher Sue and kid Joseph are alone in the block room. So they think.

Joseph says to Sue, "Hey, look Sue, I see a bat!" Sue calmly tells me. Sue and I calmly tell Rosie to go ahead to the park, we will take care of this. I run to get my camera and snap a shot of a small brown bat on the inside of the window before calling animal control.

I call animal control, who calls the town police. Sue blocks the door to the block room so no one can come in, and, ahem, no one can come out. I go around and alert the grownups (in a whisper) to what's going on. I say to a parent helper who happens to be a doctor, "There is a
W-I-N-G-E-D R-O-D-E-N-T in the block room." She says, "Huh?" I say, "B-A-T." She advises me to wait for animal control and not go in there.
Two town police officers arrive and inform me that I have to call a private company to come and remove the bat and test it for rabies. They instruct me to not let anyone go in there, especially curious children. I say to them, "Hear that parent singing La Cucuracha? That's to make sure no one goes in there." One officer says, "I know nothing about child control." I tell him not to worry, we've got that part covered. By now the children have heard about the visitor in the block room, and I go around showing the picture of the bat to the children. I thank God for digital cameras.

The officers leave, Rosie and Amy return from the park, and Critter Control arrives and removes the bat. They put it in a plastic Glad lunch container. I make a mental note to never use a Glad container again. The bat is the cutest little thing, about the size of a cell phone. It also sounded like a cell phone when they removed it from the window, poor little thing. Unfortunately, it will have to be euthanized in order to be tested.

We are currently awaiting test results, which we are positive will be negative. In the meantime, I shamelessly gave Critter Control my blog address after remarking that I couldn't wait to blog about this adventure. Are you reading, Critter Control? Thanks for your help, and long live Stellaluna!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ha ha ha!

What a great story.

Love the language and the deets.

Not so fond of the bat.

xo.

Pumpkin Cupcake Queen said...

ya gotta love being a teacher. Not just a job....it's an adventure!

Anonymous said...

Yes, we are the coporate office of Critter Control, and we are indeed listening.

Thank You!