RANDOM THOUGHTS ON VARIOUS SUBJECTS

Tuesday, February 20, 2007

It All Comes Back Around

This whole story starts a few days ago. My friend Hiro and I were waiting for the train. While we were waiting, I saw an older couple who looked like they were having trouble with their car. They were trying to get out of a snow pile, and it looked like they were stuck; the wheels of the car were spinning. I thought that I should go and push the car to help them out. Hiro told me to mind my own. I hemmed and hawed, until Hiro told me, "Train's coming!" I reluctantly got on the T, vowing to do a good deed to make up for not helping this poor couple.

My chance to make up for it came yesterday. See, my friend Jenn is eight months pregnant with her fourth child, and about a week ago she slipped and fell; broke her knee cap in half--yowsa!! Just got home from the hospital, and she ain't got nothin' to do but sit up in the bed. Her mother is helping her out, but I figured I'd give them both a break and have two of the kids over to my house for awhile. The kids and I had a great time, and it felt good to have done something nice for someone.

Rewind to two weeks ago. I had gotten my teeth cleaned, and the hygenist noticed a small area of decay in one tooth. She could ask the dentist to come and look at it, but it would be $35 just for him to walk in the room. She went to consult with him, and he told her to just book an appointment for a filling. He trusted her; if it turned out to be nothing, I'd be the lucky one.

Fast forward to today. I went in to have my tooth filled, hoping it would turn out to be nothing. My dentist's room was all the way in the back, down a long narrow hallway. I told the dental assistant I felt like I was on death row. I called out as I followed her, "Dead man walking!" I got a couple of strange looks.

My dentist came in and I joked about the tooth really having nothing wrong with it. Dr. Tencer (good name for a dentist, no?) laughed and said, "Keep dreaming." He looked at the tooth, and guess what? It was nothing! Just a groove, that could potentially get a cavity. He said it was his fault for not checking, and I could just leave. Who goes into a dentist's office for a procedure, and walks away not needing one?! My tooth looked good and I saved $135 by walking into a room! I thanked Dr. Tencer and told him I would not celebrate by getting a donut from across the street, even though the thought had crossed my mind. He said, "Don't get a donut."

Here's the thing: I know that I didn't need a filling because I helped Jenn, and I helped her because I didn't help those other people. Now, you may say that I didn't need a filling because I didn't need a filling. Nope, I believe that what goes around, comes around, good deeds or bad. So do something nice for someone, and when someone does something nice for you, pay it forward! You may save yourself a dental procedure.

No comments: