RANDOM THOUGHTS ON VARIOUS SUBJECTS

Friday, June 22, 2007

Carrying on the Tradition

So my dad had tickets to the ballet last night, and of course he couldn't make it. My poor brother had to take the phone call of the woman he was supposed to go with and tell her why she wouldn't be going. My sister-in-law and I were going to go, but at the end of the day she wasn't into it, so I did what my dad had done on so many occasions. I decided to scalp them.

My brother was afraid I'd go out there and scream about my dad couldn't go to the ballet because he was dead, and did anyone want these tickets for a good price, but I have just a shred of tact in me, so I didn't do it that way. I actually started trying to sell them from the apartment building. I asked a well dressed couple if they wanted them, and they politely declined. Then I asked a man and woman who were getting out of their car. The woman said she would have loved to go, but they were going to Shakespeare in the Park. Another fine cultural event in NYC; we wished each other well and went on our respective ways.

My friend Victor and I got down to Lincoln Center, and I started asking people as soon as we got out of the cab. I asked two older women, but they already had tickets. I told them they were my father's tickets and he couldn't make it. "Why don't you go?" one of them asked. I told them I had family business to attend to, and I couldn't. See, didn't embarass anyone!

We made it to the entrance, and I held up my tickets like the other people were doing. A couple of people stopped and looked, but passed. It was about 20 minutes to curtain, so I wanted to get rid of them fast. Two guys approached me at the same time, and I offered them to one, but he had to go check with his friend. Victor followed him to see if he would come back, and by the time he did, making an offer, I just wanted to sell 'em fast. They were $34 each, worth $68, and Victor's guy was offering $40 for the pair. It took too long for him to come back, and the other guy was asking did I want to get rid of them, 10 minutes to curtain, so I just said yes and he gave me $30 for the pair. Victor ragged on me for a minute because he could have gotten me ten more bucks, but you know what? It was my first time, and I had $30 more than I would have had they just sat on the table in the apartment like they almost did. I felt good about carrying on Dad's tradition. I think he would have been proud, although he would have been slightly more savvy than I. Here's to you, Dad. Viva la scalp!

No comments: