RANDOM THOUGHTS ON VARIOUS SUBJECTS

Thursday, May 10, 2007

A Very Long Evening


Today I was in Coolidge Corner, very close to Trader Joe's, where I needed a few groceries. It was 5:00 and I hadn't been home from work yet. I wanted to go home, relax for a few, and then go out again later. On the way home I stopped at CVS. My hands were full of my wallet, my keys, and the receipt, so I stuffed the CVS bag and wallet into the big section of my backpack. Usually I'm very careful about putting my wallet in a different section.

When I got home, I took the CVS bag and wallet out and put it on the table. I checked email, watched the news, had dinner, and prepared to go to Trader Joe's. I wanted to go tonight, because it was a lovely evening, and the forecast predicted rain for tomorrow. I needed milk for my morning tea, and I figured I'd get my contribution to a friend's potluck birthday dinner on Saturday. I also wanted to get the frozen strawberries and cream dessert I had just had at a student's house. Yum! I took my backpack and my iPod, and walked the 3/4 of a mile to Trader Joe's. I wore my new hot pink Mary Jane Crocs, despite my plan to wear them only in the house. They're easy to put on, and I didn't have any other shoes that went with my breezy turquoise skirt quite as well.

Got to TJ's, shopped around, went back and forth on the yogurt (the only yogurt I like turns out to be whole milk yogurt, go figure), and settled on mochi ice cream, as they were sold out of the frozen strawberries and cream.
Went to the checkout, put my basket on the shelf, and opened the wallet section of my backpack. Felt for my wallet, and it wasn't there. In my mind I saw my wallet on my table, on top of the CVS bag. Shit. Fuck. Goddamn it! The cashier said he could put my groceries in a cooler and I could come back. I'm not coming back tonight, man, I just walked here! I sighed deeply, told the cashier that I was getting my exercise in, and left, cursing under my breath.

I went across the street and you know I waited for the bus, I wasn't about to walk 3/4 of a mile back home, screw that. Thankfully, the bus gods took pity on me and sent one immediately. I got off at the stop that would take me near the playground near my house, and I walked through the park. Saw two of my kids, who came running over with big hugs. Gigi asked me where I was coming from. I said, "Trader Joe's, but do you see I have no groceries in my hands? I forgot my wallet." "Oh," said five year old Gigi, "I hate that feeling." After a minute she attempted to make me feel better by chirping, "At least they have free samples!" In an instant, all of my troubles disappeared. Who needs money when they have free samples?
(update: an hour after I finished this blog entry, I discovered $20 that had been in my wallet section the whole time. Is this a trend for me? What does it mean?)

No comments: