RANDOM THOUGHTS ON VARIOUS SUBJECTS

Thursday, September 07, 2006

Today

Today was a busy and fun day. First my co-worker and I did home visits. The teachers at my school visit each child's home for about 1/2 hour. We talk to the parents, see the kids and all their toys, visit cool houses and gather decorating ideas, and many times have a yummy snack. Our first stop today was the home of twins, a boy and a girl. They became friendly very fast. The boy wanted me to play The Incredibles with him, which I happily did, until he told me to kill him. I told him that's where I drew the line, and said I would put him to sleep instead. I blew on him, and he fell down. We were both satisfied.

At the end of the day I went to get a pedicure. This old lady sat in the chair next to me, and complimented me on my fish tattoo. She said she wouldn't be able to get one, on account of the poor circulation in her legs. She had a bit of poor circulation in her head, I imagined, but she was friendly enough. She asked the Vietnamese woman doing her toes, "You speaka English? Chinese?" The woman just smiled at her.

We were seated together to dry our toes, and she noticed the ring on my finger. She asked if I was married, and I said no. "You have a ring", she said. I said that yes, I did have a ring, but I wasn't married. She said, "You have a girlfriend?" I said no. She said, "I'm learning." She was learning how to be modern, talking about tattoos and gayness, and good for her. In her pale aqua velour running suit, she complained of being too hot and needing a cup of water, but no one could understand her. I arranged for her to get one. She mouthed, "Thank you" as I walked out the door.

On the way home I ran into the twins from the home visit. They asked what I was doing, so I showed them my pink glitter pedicure and said that I was going to the Farmer's Market and Starbucks. I did not explain that that was an oxymoron. As we were parting ways, we shouted our goodbyes:

Me: Goodbyyyyyye!
Them: Goodbyyyye!
Me: See you at schooool!
Them: Okaaaaaay!
Boy: I'll miss youuuuuuu!"
Me: Me tooooo, byyyyye!

After checking out the farmer's market and scanning around to see if there was anyone I knew (one former student who started 3rd grade today), I went to Starbucks. I got to play Clothing Adjuster (see previous posts) by informing a woman her dress wasn't pulled down all the way after coming out of the bathroom. Sometimes you just gotta let a girl know. She was very appreciative.

Now I'm home and I get to check my new pedometer. I got one because I was curious to see how many steps I walked in a day. You're supposed to walk 10,000. I'm doing more walking tonight, but so far my count is...16, 233. Okay, I think I'm good. It'll be interesting to see how many steps a day I average. Today I did more walking than usual.

And lots of writing. Hope you had a good day, byyyyyyye!!!

No comments: