RANDOM THOUGHTS ON VARIOUS SUBJECTS

Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Teacher's Mistake

I was so proud of myself this year, having gotten everything ready for school by the time the first day came. Cups on the cup rack, parent mailboxes labeled, cubbies assigned. Turns out I messed up. Big time.

Gigi, here for her 3rd and last year of preschool, looked for her new cubby spot and couldn't find it. Her dad looked too, no sign. Oh man, how could I have missed giving Gigi a cubby? I thought I had gone through every name, but apparently I hadn't. I felt so bad; I am lowlife teacher scum. I promised Gigi that I would make her a cubby after school. I tried not to let it ruin my day.

Gigi was fine in the morning, till right after snack. After our dance activity she came and sat on my lap and said, "Alex, I do wish I had a cubby." Oh my god, the knife goes right through the heart and twists and turns as she looks at me with puppy dog eyes. I promised her again I'd make her one and said to her weakly, "Well, you still have your art cubby, see?" She knew it wasn't the same.

After school I corrected my mistake and realized that Gigi had cubby options. I called her up and asked if she would like to have her own cubby or share with a girl or a boy. She wanted to share with a girl, so that's what she got. I would have built her one, had it come to that. Oh well, no one's perfect. Even teachers.

Yeah, right. Try feeling that way when thirty 3 and 4 year olds depend on you and put you on a pedestal. In any case, I righted the wrong and Gigi was happy at the end of the day. And now I can sleep tonight.

No comments: