RANDOM THOUGHTS ON VARIOUS SUBJECTS

Saturday, September 19, 2009

Tell Me, Teller

At my bank, the tellers wear name tags with personalized messages on them. They're conversation starters; "I love football!" "I have a cat", etc. Today, my teller's name tag said, "I collect clowns!" I asked her, "How many people tell you that they're afraid of clowns?" She said that all of them did. Poor woman. She asked me if I was afraid of clowns, I told her that of course I was. She asked me why, and I said, "Simple. Ringling Bros. and Barnum and Bailey Circus. Childhood." and I made a creepy clown movement with my hands. I said it was the makeup. She understood. I didn't even go into harlequins, eww.

I told her that the clowns at the Big Apple Circus were actually very funny. Grandma the Clown? Outstanding. She said her kids were grown, but she could take her grandchild. The line behind me was growing, so I had to finish my transaction, but it was a nice conversation. Good idea on those tags.

The funniest tag I ever saw at the bank was a guy who had "Pog ma thon" on his tag, which means "Kiss my ass" in Gaelic. I only knew this because I had dated an Irish guy. I laughed at the tag, and asked the teller what he told people it meant. He said he told them it meant, "Have a nice day". LOL! Unfortunately, I guess some higher ups knew what it meant, because that teller didn't last long at the bank. Oh well, it was fun while it lasted!

No comments: