RANDOM THOUGHTS ON VARIOUS SUBJECTS

Monday, September 14, 2009

Shelby's Big Adventure

Today at 10:10 AM some Bible thumpers came to my door. I was standing there, being polite, talking to the guy. He said something about times are hard, and people are having a hard time keeping a positive attitude. I said that I had a positive attitude, and he asked why. I said, "Because Barack Obama is President." He was surprised that I said that, and laughed. I told him that I had faith, and he said, "Do you have faith in the Bible?"

And right then, Shelby decided that she didn't have faith in the bible, but she had faith in the outdoors. She went out the door, on the porch, and down onto the lawn. She'd never gotten that far. I told the BTs that I needed to go, and they stood around for awhile. Shelby went to the right, and then disappeared. I walked around the block a couple of times, to no avail.

I called my friend and around the corner neighbor, Carin. She walked with me because I really needed the company. After awhile, I told her she could go, and I came home, posted an announcement on Facebook, and made a few signs. My computer ran out of ink, so I only got 4 made. I told a couple of people that I saw to be on the lookout, and I emailed my immediate neighbors.

Now, Shelby isn't the most adventurous of felines; I didn't think she'd be too far, but she wasn't crying when I called her. I looked behind every bush, under every car, and circled the block numerous times.

Two hours later, I went out with a small container full of dry cat food. I shook it and called her name. When I got about three yards away from the house, where a driveway is, I shook the container, called her name, and there she was. She poked her naughty little head out from under our community grill, that has a cover on it that goes all the way to the ground. I had looked under the car that was right next to it about three times.

I cooed to her, then grabbed her and brought her in the house. When we got close, she started squirming. I knew she wanted to get inside, and she would have gone that way, but I didn't want to take any chances. I grabbed her tighter, and she started wheezing. What a drama queen! I put her down in the entry way, and she started panting and breathing fast like she was gonna pass out from the adventure. Oh, please! I laid down with her and gave her a gentle talking to, and then let her in the apartment and fed her. Poor thing, of course she went right to her default mode: sleep. I think that's the last time she'll be so adventurous. And the last time I'll give any of my time to those who are holding The Good Book. I have faith in myself, my cat, Barack Obama, and my own version of God; I don't need to read a book to have faith. Listening to George Michael circa 1987, maybe.

1 comment:

Melissa said...

I love that picture of her! What an adventure Shelby had today. She probably won't be trying that again anytime soon.