RANDOM THOUGHTS ON VARIOUS SUBJECTS

Monday, January 01, 2007

Ode to an Outfit


My good friend Rekha was getting married two days after Christmas in San Francisco. What does one wear to a San Francisco wedding in late December? It would be outside, in the afternoon. I worried about the cold. Should I wear my standard winter formal dress, the one I've had for five years that is shapeless? No way, time to say out with the old, ring in the new!

I ordered a cute grey dress that my friend described this way: "It's great, if you like the 50's housewife look." Turns out I love that look! Sleeveless, fitted at the waist, poofed out a little at the hips. The thing was, I was still worried about the cold. I thought about wearing a sweater, borrowing a wrap, until...I was at the Gap one night and saw the most amazing article of clothing, perfect for my outfit.

It looked like one of those grey mink stoles one's grandmother wore in the 40's, 'cept it was 100% acrylic. It sort of had sleeves, and went to the waist. Lined with silver satin. Marked way down. It was a little over the top, but together with my dress, it was definitely a look. With some heels and a pen to sign autographs, I would be a knockout. And I'd be very warm. Perfect. Tilt your head to see the pic; I couldn't get it to rotate. Sorry.

Fast forward to the day before the wedding. I packed the outfit in a garment bag borrowed from my cousin and checked it at the airport, thinking a garment bag was too big to carry on. I got from LA to SF no problem. My bag did not. To be continued...

No comments: