RANDOM THOUGHTS ON VARIOUS SUBJECTS

Saturday, March 13, 2010

20 Years Today

Today marks 20 years since my mom died. It's sort of unbelievable. I don't know what happens as you get older to make the passage of time go so quickly, but 20 years seems like yesterday. 20 years, are you kidding me???

I say this whenever I talk about my mom, but I'll say it again. I will never get over her death. Never. It's not like I dwell on it and never leave my house or anything, but I think about her every day, and I wish all the time that she was here. When I really think about it, like now, I start to get really sad and cry. Mostly, I am used to the fact that she's not here, but I don't like it one bit.

My mom was so funny and unique. She would be totally unprepared to handle today's technology. I remember when ATMs first came out and she would get so flustered using them. She'd wave her hands and make panicky noises.  To imagine Mom with a cell phone makes me laugh out loud.

Mom liked funky things. She once had some local teenagers carry a defunct fire hydrant up 3 flights of stairs so she could have it as decoration in the entrance of her apartment. She was always paying teenagers to do things for her.

She was a big fan of Reebok sneakers and skirts, down coats, and coral nail polish on her toes.

Here's to you, Mom. I wish you were here. I have a plastic goose lamp and a giant Starbucks mug as decoration in my house. Your influence is evident. I miss you.

2 comments:

Carrie said...

Nice tribute, Alex.

xacerb8 said...

Who says there's no such thing as immortality? You're keeping your mom so alive.