RANDOM THOUGHTS ON VARIOUS SUBJECTS

Thursday, October 08, 2009

Sweet Enough?

Last night I had dinner with my friend Melissa. She had made cookies from the South Beach Diet book; they only had 3 ingredients: peanut butter, Splenda, and an egg. The cookies came out sort of crumbly, and by the time they reached me in a Ziploc bag in Melissa's purse, they looked like the topping on a sundae. She asked if they were too "Spelenda-y", and I didn't think they were, though the aftertaste was a little reminiscent of artificial sweetener, which I dislike.

I told her no problem, we'd go over to the local ice cream joint and I'd sprinkle the peanut butter crumble on top of some frozen yogurt, which I figured would be healthier than ice cream. I ordered some NS vanilla yogurt, and asked, after I placed my order, what the "NS" stood for. I was told "no sugar", and Melissa asked what it was sweetened with. We were told, "Splenda, and sometimes NutraSweet." Great.

I got home and ate most of my dessert. Tonight I think I'll have one of the Fudgsicles in my freezer.

1 comment:

xacerb8 said...

I made some "crackers" this weekend: whole wheat flour, wheat germ, one egg, one cup grated cheddar cheese, and 1/4 c milk. Roll out the dough and cut it with a cookie cutter. They were super yummy, though I think I'd double the salt next time. I'm wondering if they'd be SB Phase 3 approved since they don't have any processed white flour?