RANDOM THOUGHTS ON VARIOUS SUBJECTS

Sunday, February 22, 2009

HDTV--Hell and Damnation Tele Vision!

Can I just vent here a second? It's about my TV.

See, we've all been getting the warnings about the end of the world that was supposed to be coming on February 17; now changed to June 12 or something. I reasoned that I'd never bought a new TV in my life, and in fact had never paid for one, so it was time for me to bite the bullet and get with the program. I bought a brand spanking new flat screen HDTV. And got cable. And thought all my problems were solved.

Wrong.

I thought, you get a new TV, you plug it in, and boom! Clear picture, you can see beads of sweat, pores, the blades of grass on a football field. No. If you have basic cable, you don't have HD cable. If you don't have HD cable, some channels are crystal clear, and some aren't. You still have to have an antennae. And you have to switch back and forth between I don't even know what, to work off of some signal or radio wave or ass crack to get a clear picture.

I have two remotes, one for my TV, and one from the cable company. Yesterday I couldn't even get a picture. My friend came over and somehow got the picture to come on, but she didn't know what she did to get the picture. It worked for several hours, then I turned off the TV and went out.

When I turned on the TV again, no picture. I pressed every single button, made some changes, made the changes back, pressed buttons again, to no avail. I missed one of my favorite TV shows.

It's 8:00 am on Sunday morning. I want to turn on the TV. I'm scared that if I turn it on and I get no picture, I might do something I'll regret later. Maybe I'll just go back to bed.

1 comment:

xacerb8 said...

How will you survive without your "stories?"

I suffered a similar crisis when DirecTV came and replaced the old (nonHD) receiver with the new (HD) one. The very next day, Caleb and Ellen were watching TV and "it just went gray." I spent 30 minutes with a helpful, but ineffectual phone help techie person, then waited TWO WEEKS for two guys to show up. They spent 2 hours fiddling, futzing, unplugging, getting dirt on my carpet, and eventually, replacing the old new HD receiver with a new new HD receiver. So far, so good, but I live in fear of the gray screen's return.